Thursday, March 3, 2011

TOS Ch. 8

Hello again...because we didn't have class on Tuesday, I'm not sure how class is going to go today...but I'm going to blog anyways. Our assignment for "today" was to read TOS Chapter 8 for our in-class exercise. This chapter was on documentation and ways of organizing a FOSS project. A lot of things discussed in this chapter are things either I had already been told a million times (i.e. Documentation is ALWAYS important) or things I had at least heard about previously. Overall I found the information very interesting. One thing I am very interested in learning more about is technical writing. I've heard how important it is and even had to write a couple of technical papers...but I'm not very experienced/knowledgeable in the area. Even though this wasn't really a lesson learned, the concept of a "brain dump" is hilarious to me (probably mostly because of what it's called). The concept behind the term is interesting as well of course :) . It is also interesting to think of documentation as being more than just in the code. After reading this, I can now understand how wikis, blogs, technical papers, etc. can be considered 'documentation' for a project, especially an open source project. These are all means of conveying information about the project for those using as well as contributing to it.

On another note, I am starting to get pretty excited about POSSCON...even though we still got about a month before we go, it's getting closer and closer. I still haven't been able to pick the three presenters/speakers I'm most interested in (there's just so many) but I'm sure I'll be able to narrow it down.. but until then, Spring Break is next week and it should be a nice, relaxing and well deserved break.


Until next time... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment