Sunday, February 6, 2011

Chapter 6 Exercises

TOS Exercise 6.4

My team and I's project keeps a list of active tasks and bugs. There are currently only two bugs listed, but of the two the oldest bug in the project (Fortune Hunter) is the scan damage bug. In the game, when you encounter an "enemy", you are supposed to be able to attack them and scan them for how much damage has been done. In the game, you are able to fight the opponent, but when you scan them instead of telling you what their weakness is, it kills them. Even though this is the oldest bug, it is relatively recent (posted november 3, 2010). I believe it has not yet been resolved for a couple of reasons. One, I think it's still pretty new and there's still investigation being done into the root cause. Also, after looking at the code with my team and finding where the "scan damage" function is implemented, it's not as trivial to solve as my team and I thought it may be. It states clearly what it is supposed to say/do when the button is clicked in the code, but finding where something's going wrong seems to be a completely different story. These may be the reasons that my team and I decided to take on this bug for our next deliverable.

TOS Exercise 6.5

Before seeing this assignment, one of the main developers of Fortune Hunter already gave us the information we needed to make an account on the bug tracker. I thought I had done what I needed to do to have that, but when I went to try and login, it wouldn't let me. I didn't see a link on the page for registering either. I sent an email to the main developer (because he had said he was having some trouble with permissions and things) to see if that had anything to do with it or if I did something wrong...I'll update as soon as I hear back.

Just as an update, I finally heard back from Jonathan and have made an account with fedora to be able to access the trac list. The problem I am not running into is that I am not able to log in on the page with the active tickets. It asks me for my username and password, I put the ones I created with the link provided by Jonathan, but it keeps asking me to enter it so I never really get logged in. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'm in the process of trying to figure it out.


TOS Exercise 6.6

Being that there are only two bugs in our project, my choices of a bugs to replicate are slim. The bug that my team chose I can definitely reproduce (it's not too difficult to terminate an object when a button is clicked). I cannot, however, reproduce it as it is written now because I have yet to find out how it is being caused now. The other bug, Dungeon 3 stuck seems like it would be the more difficult to not only reproduce, but to find the root cause of it now. In order for me to be able to try and reproduce a bug, it has to be taken care of first and I have not yet been able to figure out how to fix either of these bugs. If I do come across a solution, it will be posted here....


TOS Exercise 6.7

None of the bugs/tasks on the list are labeled new. The newest task was posted November 15, 2010. I'm not sure if I completely understand what it means to "triage" a bug. I understand what they're saying triaging includes, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to add any part that is not already there. The bugs that are on the trac list seemed to have already been triaged (labeled with the priority, understandable explanation of bug, etc.)  The tasks as well are documented pretty well. Some of them could have been explained a lot better, however. Also, the bugs could have been described a little more in depth. The scan damage report did a good job of explaining the fact that the button doesn't work, but it doesn't explain what does happen when it's clicked. I feel like this is pretty important information if you want to fix the bug. Once I hear back from Jonathan about my account, I will be able to see if I can alter anything/work with the bug tracker.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment