Wednesday, February 2, 2011

TOS Ch. 5: Freeciv project

Our assignment for this week was to visit the Freeciv page, download their code, and follow the Building instructions given in Section 5.4 in TOS. Getting the folder and everything wasn't that difficult (even though it did take a while with all the files in the folders). The difficulty came in when I started the building process. The text walks you through how to do everything (including dealing with errors that come up), but I found myself getting errors that weren't explained in the text and solutions that were given that didn't work. One thing the text mentioned that I had to go and do some research on is the idea of 'root' vs. regular user. To install a number of the things needed to configure the file, I had to figure out how to become the root (command line sudo -i ). In the process of installing everything, I would keep getting messages like 'No package so and so available.' and 'package so and so is not installed' even after I would have them installed. Sometimes I would also have to use the Synaptic Package Manager in order to install packages as opposed to terminal. Even though I kept getting these messages, when I went to go configure everything, the one thing that was missing was something the book didn't mention at all (libcurl development files). I tried installing it in terminal, with no success, so I then went into Synaptic and tried to install it myself. Everything I needed was there, but it wouldn't let me actually download it. So I went back to try terminal again, as the root this time, and typed sudo apt-get install libcurl4-gnutls-dev and tried to configure again and it worked beautifully. After that, all that was left to do was make the file and make sure everything was working (as the instructions in the text illustrated). I didn't have any problems making or running the project. Being that this project is written in C and the project I worked on last semester was written in C, it made it a littler easier to understand what was going on and how to fix problems that the text didn't account for.
Also, for an update pertaining to my team's issues with building and running our project, we heard back from Jon and found out that we were indeed missing some files. He told us what we needed to do but not how to do it, so I did some research and I think I may have found what I need to do to get the code to build/run in terminal. Don't forget to keep track of my team's work as well on our team wiki, where you can find more detailed reports and information.

More soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment