Monday, February 21, 2011

TOS Ch. 7 & Team Bug Report

For our individual assignment for today, we were assigned to read TOS Chapter 7 on creating and submitting patches to open source projects. Before I began actually reading this, I thought I was about to learn about something that I had never learned before. After reading the first couple paragraphs and our brief discussion we had prior to doing this assignment, I now realize that I have indeed created a patch before. Another name for a patch is diff. I have had experience running the diff command in ubuntu terminal using a script from my previous software course CSCI 362 (Software Engineering). Doing this reading, however, gave me a deeper look into the proper way of  using diff and patches in the open source community. The step by step instructions on how to create patches was very helpful as well..now that I've read through the chapter, I can go back and look at the Exercises and begin to figure those out.

As far as my team and I, we have been making pretty great progress. Our current assignment (which is due tomorrow) is to fix the bug we previously found and reported on. It didn't end up taking us as long as we thought it would. If you would like to see our bug report, please check out the First Bug page of our wiki. We not only share our solution, but the process we followed to get to the solution. We are currently trying to figure out what kind of major contribution we would like to make to the project. We're pretty proud of ourselves for fixing the bug, but we would like to try and do something a little different. For example, we were thinking we could work on some documentation to start out with and then possibly work on some graphics for the game, or even create our own portion/game within the game! The cards are still on the table, but hopefully we'll be able to come to a conclusion soon as a team.

Until next time folks...

No comments:

Post a Comment